London Games Maker document classifies Cerebral Palsy and Epilepsy as "Learning Disabilities" Fran Williamson writes..

Fran Williamson ( who will be swimming as part of the GB London 2012 games squad ! ) has posted this really interesting blog post. It mentions EPILEPSY.  She writes "this is what the London Games Maker Document say's about Disability's.." < and I think.. it's ATOS behind this thinking!

So now the London 2012 Games are in crisis too.. but what do YOU think ? leave a comment below!

Here's Fran Williamson's post.

Link:  http://www.fran-williamson.co.uk/3/post/2012/02/london-games-maker-document-classifies-cerebral-palsy-and-epilepsy-as-learning-disabilities.html

London Games Maker document classifies Cerebral Palsy and Epilepsy as "Learning Disabilities"

Throughout my life I have fought against the stereotypes that are placed upon me because of my impairment.  I have had Athetoid Cerebral Palsy since birth.  This means I have brain damage that affects the way all my muscles work and are controlled … this also causes me to have a distinctive speech impairment.  As a result, many members of society assume that I have a learning disability - and speak to me as such.  I make a huge effort to make it known that this is not the case and that, in actuality, I have a lot of intelligence to offer.

Today, however, I have discovered that these efforts have been somewhat tarnished by a fundamental oversight of a major public organisation.  Official documentation of the London 2012 Games Makers mission has categorised Cerebral Palsy as a learning disability.  Whilst it is true that, depending on the areas affected by brain damage, some people with CP do have learning impairments, it is not an major affect of CP for all who have it.

I will openly admit that my school days were not prosperous and I did not get the grades I should have done.  However, I can say with confidence that this is due to my personal learning styles not matching with orthodox educational routes, and not my CP.  I now have a first class degree and I am about to start writing my research dissertation for my Masters degree. And no, I am not the only person with CP to display this level of intelligence.
Nevertheless, on a daily basis, due to public stereotypes and misconceptions, I, and others like me, get talked down to about 80% of the time.

As I said earlier, it is possible for people with CP to have learning difficulties.  The type of brain damage people with CP have varies dramatically from person to person.  Thus, the areas of the brain affected in people with CP can cause varying impairments.  However, categorising CP as a learning disability is in no way a legitimate mistake to make.  Indeed, it is a fundamental oversight that is currently informing in excess of 80,000 Games Maker Volunteers, many of whom will be working during the London Paralympic Games this August.

This oversight presents itself in the 'Understanding Disability' section of the London 2012 Games Maker Workbook.  This displays four categories of impairment, as such:

"Visual Impairments (blind or partial sight):

- people may use a white cane, guide bog, sighted guide or their own remaining sight for mobility.
- People may have difficulty accessing print, recognising faces, differentiating colour and small detail and may use technology to access computers and other equipment

Hearing Impairments (Deaf or hard of hearing):

- People may use a British Sign Language interpreter, be able to lip read or use personal hearing aids or hearing loops
- People may have difficulty understanding complex written or spoken English

Mental health/Mental distress (Bipolar disorder or Depression):

- People may be feeling extremely anxious and frightened and may be agitated, but are rarely a threat to others.

Learning Disability (Autism, Aspergers Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy*):

- People who find it harder than others to learn, understand and communicate."


This is possibly the vaguest and most under-researched "understanding disability" page I have ever seen.  In essence, CP should really fall under 'physical impairments'.  However, the literature makes no mention of these.

It is worth noting the words I have underlined: May and Who.  From my perspective, the word 'may' indicates the possibility of these impairment factors.  Whereas, the word 'who' (used in the Learning Disability section alone) indicates the definitive occurrences of these impairment factors.

*It should also be noted that epilepsy is not a learning disability either.


Comments